If you are using wireless mice and keyboards you should be aware of the risks. Also see this article at Computerworld.
At least Logitech provides a firmware update which fixes the problems:
Announcement at Logitech concerning “MouseJack”
The program also checks if there is an update needed at all. So I found out that even the Unifying Receiver of a new keyboard (K270), bought in January 2018, was still shipped with an outdated firmware.
Only when the update tools displays a message that all found devices are up to date, there is no risk.
For a long time there had been an SVN archive of Thing at atariforge.org. Unfortunately this website is not online any longer. But I’m happy to announce that the commit history of the SVN archive could be rescued and the sources are now available at Github: https://github.com/arnowelzel/thing
Thanks to Miro Kropáček for his support in preserving the commit history from the old SVN repository.
Recently details of two security problems got published which allow to bypass protection mechanisms of CPUs to get access to sensitive data – known as “Meltdown” and “Spectre”.
More about this at https://meltdownattack.com.
Sometimes I need to check the function and picture quality of displays. Usually this is done by using some kind of test software – but you can not always install or run software, for example when Linux is installed but the test software is only available for Windows.
In the latest version I also fixed some problems for full screen mode, so every modern browser should be usable for the test.
In August 2017 I had the opportunity to meet Prof. Jim Austin and visit his “computer sheds”. Jim Austin is a professor of computer science and has a very extensive, private collection of computers that he has collected in his warehouses over many years.
The collection is not (yet) a regular exhibition, but if you register in advance, you can get a private tour for a little donation. Also see http://www.computermuseum.org.uk. Below is a loose collection of pictures I took during my visit.
My special thanks go to Jim Austin and Trevor Howard-Smith for the friendly guidance and to the many people helping with cataloging and preparing the collection!
The Pebble is offically dead since the end of 2016 where Fitbit bought the software and the production of the hardware was discontinued.
But this does not mean that the existing copies don’t work any longer – Fitbit will turn off the cloud services by the end of 2017 but there is a new version of the Pebble App already available since April 2017 which does not require a cloud connection. Apps which are already installed on the Pebble and which don’t need a cloud connection can still be used. Also side loading of new apps is still possible as in “Nav Me” or “Pebble Camera”.
So my Pebble will still be usable until I got an alternative :-).
Update August 2017
Unfortunately the latest version of the Pebble app turned out not to be very reliable. Therefore I changed to a Samsung Gear S3.
Recently I had the requirement to supply a mailserver with DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) based on Postfix in a Debian style Linux. I did this as described in the following documentation.
Now it’s official: Pebble shuts down and the remaining stuff will be sold to Fitbit as you can read in the blog post. Pebble Time 2 or any of the other announced products will not be available at all.
Very sad – since I just bought my first Pebble in the beginning of 2016 and was always very pleased so far. The battery still lasts more than a week and besides notifications about new SMS or e-mails I also really like apps like “Nav Me” – as long as it will be possible.
Recently I’ve noticed that greylisting didn’t work any longer on my server. The reason for this was, that the service “postgrey” did not start any longer.
A manual start using the command line was still possible but not starting it as daemon.
A quick fix for this is to modify the file
/etc/sbin/postgrey as following: change the shebang in the first line.
#!/usr/bin/perl -T -w
However this also makes the script less safe as well. The better solution is a modification of the script as described on https://github.com/yasuhirokimura/postgrey/commit/9673b54064691a5b9c295ffea340d8a1f9ee1cb8.
Also see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postgrey/+bug/1252441.