Collaborative text editor in Nextcloud

Nextcloud text editor, sharing options

In June 2019 Nextcloud introduced an interesting text editor which uses Markdown as format but does not show this optically – the user interface is very tidy and text will always be shown and edited formatted. You can use Markdown syntax when entering text but in addition there is a toolbar at the top of the editor. To create a new file you can use the “+” symbol in the Nextcloud file manager as usual.

Continue reading

Fraud with app purchase

I recently received an email from “We Buy Apps” declaring that this company is a startup for the marketing of apps and would be interested in buying “Periodical”. If I were ready, I would be offered something that I would not refuse.

However the conditions on the website already look quite questionable:

You sell the full and exclusive rights to the app. This includes the source code, all artwork, all assets (images, texts etc.), icons, Android credentials, web presence (social media, website etc.) and other assets of the app that are required to maintain the functionality and promotion of the app. You are selling the right to publish the app and will not be able to publish the same source code again, even under a different app name.

Continue reading

New rims on the everyday bicycle

Since I live in Berlin I drive significantly longer distances in everday life than in Augsburg. Together with the all-year use also during winter or on rainy days the rims which I laced in eraly 2015 got clearly worn out by the brakes after many thousands of kilometres of city traffic.

The new rims are again Ryde Andra 30 but now with black painting which fits the black frame of the bicycle quite well:

In contrast to the old rims I did not enlarge the valve holes and now use tubes with presta valves (also known as “french valves”) again. The tires are still relatively new and will continue to be used.

I already had a longer ride of about 42 km on the Berlin Sternfahrt 2019 with the new rims and everything worked quite well – nearly like a new bicycle :-).

I would have liked to buy the rims from a nearby bicycle dealer – however, he was unable to obtain this model with 32 and 36 holes from his wholesaler. In the end I ended up with Komponentix, who are also based in Berlin. Here I could order online and then pick up the rims on site.

Even more illegal copies of Periodical

It starts getting annoying! Another illegal copy of Periodical shows up again, this time with the name “Periodical calendar” from someone called “Eminantapps”. Currently available at

This is now the fourth case of this kind I am aware of. It’s just so easy to use existing sources and build your own app that contains advertising.

I can not really top this happening – but I report every single case to Google and also write to the creators of these apps to delete them immediately.

As a reminder: Periodical is not public domain but has been released under the GPL! The GPL is legally binding and requires that the author of the work on which the app is based is named and that the sources of the modified version are available.